Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Normal" - Issue One

PAGE ONE.

1 – An aerial view of a typical teenage boy’s bedroom. Posters on the walls. Dirty laundry on the floor. Maybe a computer. A large window is next to the bed. A sandy-haired teenage boy is sleeping in the bed but only his head on the pillow is visible. The rest of him is covered by blankets. This is our “hero”, DANIEL BLAKE.


2 – Same.


3 – Same, but there is a tapping coming from the window. The outside is obscured by curtains.

SFX: TAP TAP TAP


4 – New angle. DANIEL sits up, blearily. His profile is framed by the window. Outside the window is a male shadow.

DANIEL: Most people might be afraid of a guy tapping on their window in the middle of night.


5 – He leans over and pushes the window up.

DANIEL: Not me. I’m used to it by now.



PAGE TWO.

1 – The outside of a two-story middle class house on a suburban street. A tree sits very close to an open window on the second floor.

MAN: (off-panel) Sorry to wake you, Dan.


2 – Close on the window. DANIEL leans out of it, rubbing his eyes. He is wearing a faded Simpsons’ t-shirt and plaid pajama pants.

DANIEL: It’s okay.

MAN: (off-panel) We’re going to be out later than we thought. This Birdy guy’s got a death wish.

DANIEL: Why didn’t my parents come?


3 – Reverse on the tree. A young man in costume is lounging on a thick branch with his back against the trunk. His costume is dark purple with black briefs. He is wearing black boots and black gloves. There is a small black “S” over his heart that resembles a lightning bolt. He is wearing a black and purple striped domino mask and has tousled dirty-blond hair. This is STREAK.

STREAK: Your dad’s a little busy right now. And... well, you know how your mom is.

DANIEL: (off-panel) Yeah... plus, you’re the fastest.


4 – New angle on both of them.

STREAK: Yup, at least I’m good for something. You need anything while I’m here?

DANIEL: What could I need? It’s 3am.


5 – STREAK leans forward, smiling.

STREAK: I’d sing you a lullaby but the sound of my voice would probably just give you nightmares.

DANIEL: Yeah, thanks for the offer though.



PAGE THREE.

1 – STREAK stands, balancing himself against the trunk.

STREAK: I gotta get back. Oh, and tell Brandon your mother signed his English test and it’s on the dining room table.

DANIEL: Right, got it.


2 – STREAK jumps out of the tree to the grass below.

STREAK: Mmf!

DANIEL: See ya.

STREAK: Yup.


3 – STREAK takes off in a purple and black blur out of the yard as DANIEL watches.

SFX: FOOM!

DANIEL: So that was Streak, one-fifth of my parents’ superhero team. Did I mention my parents are superheroes? Yeah, they’re up all night, saving people, while I sleep in my Bart Simpson t-shirt. Talk about low self-esteem...


4 – Back in the bedroom, DANIEL lays down in bed.

DANIEL: I know they don’t make me feel bad on purpose. It’s not their fault their son was born without any powers. In the history of the world, no child of powered parents has ever been born... well, like me.


PAGE FOUR.

1 – Shot of SEAN BLAKE or TITAN. He is a tall man, muscular but not insanely so. His costume has a blue torso, with black arms and legs, a long black cape and black boots. There is a stylized black “T” on his chest. He has a blue cowl with a black mask around his eyes.

DANIEL: My father’s Titan. He’s the strongest, most agile, best-looking guy I know. Basically, anything a guy could want to be, my father’s got me beat in it.


2 – Shot of MYRA MILLS BLAKE or GUST. She has chin-length brown hair and is in a tight white catsuit with purple stripes down her arms and down the sides of the costume. The chest of her costume is emblazoned with a purple twister. She has a short purple cape and she is wearing a purple domino mask and purple boots.

DANIEL: My mother, Gust. She controls wind, so she can toss or lift things, including my dad and herself. She’s really powerful but she knows exactly when to act like a normal nosy mom. To be honest, I’m not sure she’s always acting...

3 – Close on a picture of DANIEL and his parents (out of costume) on his nightstand. SEAN is basically an older, slightly better-looking, version of DANIEL.

DANIEL: So, here you have these two amazing specimens of super humanity and you’d think, “If these two have a kid, he’ll probably be able to fly and throw cars and win marathons and... you know, save people and stuff.” But no. Not this guy.



PAGE FIVE.

1 – A younger MYRA and SEAN sit in a living room, hopefully watching a baby in a blue onesie.


2 – A slightly older MYRA and SEAN sit in the same living room, hopefully watching a toddler as he plays with his toys.


3 – A slightly older MYRA and SEAN sit in the same living room, hopefully watching a seven year old boy as he watches the television.


4 – A slightly older MYRA and SEAN sit in the same living room, hopefully watching a twelve year old boy as he plays a video game.


5 – MYRA and SEAN sit in the same living room, hopefully watching DANIEL as he talks on his cell phone. DANIEL is holding out his hand, in a “What are you expecting?” gesture.

DANIEL: I... got... nothin’.



PAGE SIX.

1 – Blakes’ kitchen the next morning. It is very neat, decorated in pinks and whites. DANIEL is entering from the main foyer of the house. He is still in his pajamas. Already seated at the table, in the one of four chairs that is facing DANIEL, is BRANDON DELL. He is the same age as DANIEL, with dark hair and chiseled features. He is shirtless, also in pajama pants, and his chest is very well-defined. He is shoveling cereal into his mouth. The open box and carton of milk are on the table.

DANIEL: You’re up early.


2 – Close on BRANDON, gesturing with his spoon.

BRANDON: I barely slept. I heard Streak outside at 3am. Someone’s going to catch him here one day and figure things out.

DANIEL: Brandon Dell. My best friend. Practically my brother. He’s lived with us ever since an unfortunate accident involving his parents, their SUV and the guardrail.


3 – DANIEL sits opposite BRANDON and reaches for the cereal.

DANIEL: Right. Because people would immediately assume my parents have powers.

BRANDON: I’m just saying. I’d be more careful.


4 – Close on BRANDON, eating another spoonful.

DANIEL: Brandon is one of a very few civilians who knows who my parents really are. He probably wouldn’t have found out if his parents hadn’t been run off the road by-...


5 – DANIEL reaches for the milk but stares at BRANDON, off-panel.

DANIEL: ...well, let’s just say it wasn’t really an accident.



PAGE SEVEN.

1 – BRANDON slides his bowl away as he leans over the table toward DANIEL, who is holding the milk carton.

BRANDON: I asked Carla about the prom last night.

DANIEL: The junior prom. As if my life isn’t complicated enough.

BRANDON: She said she’d consider going with me.


2 – DANIEL raises an eyebrow.

DANIEL: She’d consider it? What kind of answer is that?


3 – BRANDON is still leaning over, staring at DANIEL, intently.

DANIEL: Great. He only looks at me like that when he wants something.

BRANDON: She said she’d go with me if you take Noel.


4 – DANIEL shakes his head.

DANIEL: No way.

BRANDON: Come on, man! Take one for the team!

DANIEL: It’s hard to consider us a “team” when I always seem to be the one who “takes one” for us.


5 – BRANDON gets up and brings his bowl to the sink.

BRANDON: What’s wrong with Noel anyway? She has nice... hair.

DANIEL: (off-panel) There’s nothing really wrong with her. I just... well, I was going to-


6 – Close on BRANDON, rolling his eyes.

BRANDON: Please do not tell me you’re thinking about asking Abby again.



PAGE EIGHT.

1 – DANIEL looks at the table, ashamed.

DANIEL: I’m not thinking about asking her again.

DANIEL: It’s not a lie. You can’t think about something again if you never stopped thinking about it in the first place.


2 – BRANDON puts his hand on DANIEL’s shoulder. DANIEL is still staring at the table, with his hand on the milk.

BRANDON: Seriously, I get it. She’s hot. But there’s a little place called “your league” and Abby doesn’t currently reside there.

DANIEL: Sometimes, I really want to punch him in the mouth.


3 – DANIEL looks up, smiling slightly.

BRANDON: There are five hundred other girls in our school and any one of them would be lucky to go with you.

DANIEL: But he always fixes it before I can.

DANIEL: Thanks.


4 – BRANDON punches DANIEL’S shoulder as he walks toward the foyer.

BRANDON: But you’re going with Noel.

DANIEL: No, I don’t want-... damn it.


5 – He turns back to the table and pours the milk.


6 – Same. Only a drop of milk comes out.


7 – Same.

DANIEL: Story of my life.



PAGE NINE.

1 – Exterior of Floral Hills High School. It is a normal suburban public school. A large rolling front lawn leads from the building to the street, where cars are dropping off kids. Students are mingling on the lawn and walking into the building.

DANIEL: (off-panel) FHHS, my home away from home. My parents always say I’m lucky to go to school everyday like a normal kid and not have to worry about fighting some crazed maniac.


2 – Interior of the school. A semi-crowded hallway, lined with lockers. The walls and floor are off-white or pea green or some other unflattering high school color. DANIEL and BRANDON are walking down the hall with backpacks over their shoulders. DANIEL is staring off-panel.

DANIEL: But at least they don’t have to look at Abby Anderson.


3 – The ABBY panel. Dominates the page. She is standing by an open locker, the inside covered with magazine cutouts and a mirror. Five to seven popular-looking teens are gathered around, laughing with her. Basically, ABBY is every beautiful, unattainable teenage girl. Blond perfect hair, striking blue eyes, white teeth, maybe even a dimple.

DANIEL: (off-panel) I don’t mean it’s hard to look at her. I just mean it’s hard to look at her when you know that’s all you’re ever going to get.


4 – DANIEL stares at her, off-panel, longingly.


5 – Same, except BRANDON is next to him, looking where he’s looking.


6 – BRANDON yanks DANIEL out of the frame.



PAGE TEN.

1 – BRANDON is pulling DANIEL down the hall by his arm. ABBY and her friends are in the distance.

BRANDON: You’re doing it again.

DANIEL: I’m sorry.

BRANDON: Don’t be sorry. Just don’t do it.

CARLA: (off-panel) Hi, Brandon!


2 – Standing near a locker is CARLA ROBINS, a pretty, dark curly-haired girl of the same age. She is smiling.

CARLA: Hey, Daniel.


3 – New angle on all three of them. DANIEL looks less than pleased.

DANIEL: Hi, Carla...

CARLA: So have you thought about what I said?

BRANDON: Yeah, he says he’ll do it.


3 – CARLA hugs DANIEL. DANIEL looks confused. BRANDON looks annoyed.

CARLA: Oh, thank you so much! It’s so hard for her to find-... she’s such a nice girl, she’s my best friend, and I-

DANIEL: I get it. It’s fine.


4 – BRANDON separates the two, standing between them. DANIEL looks pissed.

BRANDON: So, where is she? Dan’s really excited. He wants to ask her right now!


5 – CARLA grabs DANIEL’S arm and leads him away from BRANDON.

CARLA: She’s in the library. But, please, don’t tell her I asked you to do this.



PAGE ELEVEN.

1 – Close on NOEL HARRIS. A dumpy girl with boring brown hair and unflattering clothing. She looks none too pleased.

NOEL: Carla asked you to do this?


2 – Wider shot. NOEL is sitting at a table in the library with books spread out in front of her. DANIEL is standing near the table.

DANIEL: Okay, so Noel Harris may not be what most people would call... thin, but she’s not a bad person. And not nearly as stupid as Carla thinks she is.

DANIEL: No... why would you think that?


3 – New angle. Behind DANIEL are shelves of books and a staircase leading up to another level. There is one MALE STUDENT visible, reading a newspaper at another table.

NOEL: Just the phone call I got last night about how she was going to the prom with Brandon Dell and “Maaaaybe Daniel Blake will ask yoooouuuu!”


4 – DANIEL pulls out a chair and sits next to her.

DANIEL: Okay, she may have had a little to do with it...

NOEL: I know people think I’m a loser.

DANIEL: You’re not a loser-


5 – NOEL leans forward, angrily. DANIEL is leaning away, slightly afraid.

NOEL: I know that. That’s just what people think. No one in this school even knows me. They don’t wanna talk to a fat girl who doesn’t know how to dress.

DANIEL: Well, maybe Carla can help with your clothes.


6 – NOEL is staring at him, even angrier. His eyes widen.


7 – Same. DANIEL gestures, nervously.

DANIEL: I mean... you’re not fat.



PAGE TWELVE.

1 – NOEL stands, gathering her books. DANIEL leans forward, pleadingly. Behind DANIEL, the male student stands, gripping the paper.

NOEL: Thanks but I don’t need your pity. I’ll just sit home eating Devil Dogs on prom night.

DANIEL: I’m sorry! I didn’t-...


2 – NOEL storms away, slinging her backpack over a shoulder. DANIEL rubs his temples. The MALE STUDENT makes his way toward DANIEL, excitedly, but DANIEL does not see him.

DANIEL: Okay, so, I’m starving, I just insulted a chubby girl... five minutes till first period. Anything else want to get in while there’s still time?


3 – Close on paper and a hand slamming it down on the table. The headline says “BYE BYE BIRDY! THE ALLIANCE TAKES DOWN THE NOTORIOUS MOBSTER.” There is a picture of TITAN shaking hands with a man in a suit. GUST and some other costumed men, including STREAK, are behind them.

NICHOLAS: (off-panel) This happened right near my house last night!


4 – NICHOLAS SHARPE is standing next to Daniel’s table, his hand still on the paper. He is a skinny, bespectacled boy of the same age with unruly dark hair. Sort of like Harry Potter but without the scar. He looks very excited.

DANIEL: (off-panel) Nicholas Sharpe. Another one of my best friends. He’s obsessed with superheroes and it’s getting really hard to pretend these people weren’t at a Christmas party in my basement a few months ago.


5 – DANIEL takes the paper and looks at the front page. NICHOLAS watches him.

NICHOLAS: So what do you think?

DANIEL: About what?


6 – DANIEL rolls his eyes and tosses the paper down.

NICHOLAS: (off-panel) You think they’re from my neighborhood?

DANIEL: Nick, The Alliance works all over New Cove.



PAGE THIRTEEN.

1 – NICHOLAS pulls out a chair and sits next to DANIEL, pulling the paper back toward him. DANIEL leans back in his chair, nonchalantly.

NICHOLAS: I know I’ve said this before but Titan looks so familiar...

DANIEL: They don’t live among regular people. They probably have a big mansion with a bunch of gadgets and a jet under the house.


2 – NICHOLAS leans forward in his chair.

NICHOLAS: Yeah... I guess you’re right.

DANIEL: (off-panel) My God, I should win an Oscar.

NICHOLAS: So why were you talking to Noel Harris?


3 – DANIEL stands.

DANIEL: I’ll tell you later. I have class.

NICHOLAS: (off-panel) Yeah, I should probably go, too...


4 – Close on NICHOLAS, staring at the paper, longingly.

DANIEL: If Nick put as much time into schoolwork as he did trying to unmask my parents, he’d have graduated already. You’d think it’d mess up our friendship, but sometimes, it’s nice to hang out with someone who doesn’t know.


5 – Close on the picture in the paper, just a shot of TITAN and GUST.

DANIEL: (off-panel) It makes me feel like less of a failure.



PAGE FOURTEEN.

1 – Exterior of the high school. DANIEL and BRANDON are walking across the lawn toward the street. The place is milling with students.

BRANDON: You have change for the bus?

PEGGY: (off-panel) Let’s go, Noel!


2 – Reverse angle of the street. It is packed with cars, students piling into them and walking around them to cross the street. Leaning on a silver BMW is PEGGY HARRIS, a middle-aged brunette. She is very attractive and stylish but is dressed in a fashion that would make other women her age whisper, “What is she trying to prove?” She is wearing huge black sunglasses and looks very annoyed.

PEGGY: I’ve been waiting fifteen minutes already. You told me you’d be out here at three.


3 – NOEL hustles past DANIEL and BRANDON, with her head down.

NOEL: Sorry, I was talking to Carla.

PEGGY: (off-panel) Talk to Carla on your own time. I only have half an hour to get to Pilates.


4 – NOEL throws her bag in the backseat as PEGGY sashays around to the driver’s side.

BRANDON: (off-panel) That’s Noel’s mother?

DANIEL: (off-panel) Guess so.


5 – BRANDON elbows DANIEL, laughing.

BRANDON: Guess you got somethin’ to look forward to, huh?

DANIEL: Yeah... actually, I meant to tell you-

MYRA: (off-panel) Hey!


6 – In the midst of the traffic is a blue minivan. MYRA sits in the driver’s seat, waving maniacally with a huge smile on her face, yelling through the open passenger’s window.

MYRA: Come on! We’ll get ice cream!



PAGE FIFTEEN.

1 – Close on DANIEL, who is smiling.

DANIEL: This is why no one will ever suspect Myra Blake of being Gust.


2 – MYRA, still smiling and waving.

DANIEL: (off-panel) It is beyond anyone’s comprehension that this minivan-driving, perfect wife and mother could don a spandex jumpsuit and take off into the skies.


3 – BRANDON smiles and walks toward the van. DANIEL follows.

BRANDON: Awesome, thanks!


4 – Interior of the van. MYRA is in the driver’s seat, looking at DANIEL sitting in the passenger’s seat. BRANDON is climbing into the back.

MYRA: So, how was your day?

DANIEL: Normal. I saw the paper.


5 – MYRA from DANIEL’S POV. She is looking in the rearview mirror.

MYRA: Me, too. Nice to know that guy is finally off the streets, huh?

DANIEL: (off-panel) My mother will never crack unless she’s in our house behind closed doors. It’s really fun to mess with her sometimes.


6 – DANIEL looks out his window at the school as the van pulls away from the curb. MYRA is driving, very calmly. BRANDON is laughing in the backseat behind her.

DANIEL: Looks like Gust put on a little weight.

MYRA: Well, it’s hard to keep a trim figure when you’re middle-aged. Thankfully, I don’t have to worry about that. So, ice cream?

DANIEL: She’s a rock.


7 – Wider shot of the street. The minivan is at the corner at a red light. In the lane next to it is the silver BMW. DANIEL looks out his window and watches as PEGGY is obviously lecturing NOEL. NOEL sits in the passenger seat, with her head down, looking like she’s about to cry.



PAGE SIXTEEN.

1 – Blakes’ kitchen. DANIEL, MYRA and BRANDON are walking in from the foyer, all holding Styrofoam cups of ice cream. SEAN is sitting at the kitchen table, drinking a cup of coffee. He is wearing glasses with thin black frames and is casually dressed.

SEAN: Welcome home.

MYRA: I got you mint chocolate chip.

SEAN: Thanks, babe.


2 – Close on SEAN, looking lovingly off-panel, presumably at MYRA.

DANIEL: (off-panel) My parents are so in love, it’s disgusting. I guess it has something to do with seeing each other in mortal danger all the time.


3 – BRANDON and DANIEL sit with SEAN, eating their ice cream. SEAN snaps out of his reverie and looks at them.

BRANDON: So, Jason Birdy, huh, Sean?

SEAN: Yeah, he finally slipped up. How was school?

DANIEL: My dad tries so hard to appear normal. He wears those glasses, even though he’s never had an illness that’s lasted more than two days his entire life. He thinks this is hilarious.


4 - BRANDON nudges DANIEL. DANIEL’S head is down, as if he knows what’s coming.

BRANDON: Well, me and Dan have dates for the prom.

MYRA: (off-panel) What??


5 – MYRA stands behind SEAN’S chair, with wide eyes and a huge smile. SEAN looks interested.

DANIEL: (off-panel) Why is it that any time there’s a chance for a guy to have to pose for embarrassing photos, his mother will appear as if from nowhere?

MYRA: Who are you going with?

BRANDON: (off-panel) I’m going with Carla Robins and Dan...


6 – Close on DANIEL, looking resigned.

DANIEL: How do I put this...?

DANIEL: I asked Noel to go with me but she said no, because I didn’t say she wasn’t fat.


7 – BRANDON, MYRA and SEAN stare off-panel at DANIEL, uncomprehending.



PAGE SEVENTEEN

1 – Same.

SEAN: Run that by me again?


2 – DANIEL shrugs. BRANDON is staring at him, still perplexed. MYRA has her arms crossed.

DANIEL: She said she was fat and I didn’t say she wasn’t so she said she’d stay home eating Twinkies... or Yodels, maybe, it’s kind of a blur...

MYRA: How could you call a girl fat?

DANIEL: She called herself fat. I just didn’t disagree fast enough.

SEAN: You’ve got a lot to learn about women.


3 – MYRA shoots SEAN a look. BRANDON sits back in his chair, annoyed.

BRANDON: Now I don’t have a date either. Carla was only going with me if you took Noel.


4 – MYRA, looking upset.

MYRA: That’s so sad...

DANIEL: (off-panel) And did you see Noel’s mom yelling at her in the car today? She looked like she was about to cry.


5 – MYRA leans over the table and sticks her finger in DANIEL’S face.

MYRA: Daniel, you are taking her to the prom and you’re going to make her feel like a princess.

DANIEL: But-

MYRA: And if you even think the word fat, I’m going to fly you out over the bay and make you swim home.


6 – Close on DANIEL, leaning away from MYRA’S finger.

DANIEL: I don’t-... I was going to-...

DANIEL: I can’t believe it. It happens every time and I still can’t believe it.


7 – Close on BRANDON, looking smug.

DANIEL: At the end of the day, he always wins.

DANIEL: Okay, I’ll ask her again.



PAGE EIGHTEEN.

1 – Exterior of Rosina’s Dress Boutique, that evening. It is on a town-y looking main street. There is an alley between it and a photography shop next door. A few shoppers pass outside with parcels.

VOICE 1: (off-panel) What about this one?


2 – Inside the boutique. A wide shot takes in racks of dresses, two saleswomen behind a counter and one or two shoppers, browsing. There is a hallway leading to a back area.

VOICE 2: (off-panel) That one’s nice, too, along with the last seventeen you’ve tried on.


3 – A smaller dressing room area. A pretty blond teenage girl is standing on a platform in front of a three paneled mirror, wearing a slinky black dress. Her friend, another blond girl, is sitting on a small couch behind her. We can only see the dress-wearer’s reflection in the mirror. This is CAROLYN JAMES.

CAROLYN: I don’t think you understand something here, Ab. This is our first prom. We are never going to forget this night and I’ll be damned if I’m gonna show up in some two-bit-

ABBY: Okay!


4 – Close on the friend on the couch. It’s ABBY. She looks very tired of sitting there.

ABBY: Carolyn, nothing you’ve tried on has been two-bit. They’ve all been... five-bit, at least.

CAROLYN: (off-panel) I’m still not sure. I think this one is making my thighs look heavy.

ABBY: I can’t even see your thighs...


5 – CAROLYN turns away from the mirror, excitedly.

CAROLYN: Speaking of, did you see how wide Gust’s hips looked in the paper today?


6 – ABBY is craning her neck to look up at CAROLYN on her pedestal.

ABBY: She’s a superhero. You’re really commenting on her hips?

CAROLYN: Well, they looked huge! Someone’s gotta tell that girl that spandex is not the most flattering material.



PAGE NINETEEN.

1 – An older SALESWOMAN walks over.

SALESWOMAN: Have you made a decision yet?


2 – CAROLYN whips her head around to the SALESWOMAN, angrily.

CAROLYN: I’m talking to my friend right now. Why don’t you just go back to whatever you were doing and I’ll call you when I need you, okay?


3 – Close on the SALESWOMAN, who is definitely holding back some not-so-nice comments.

SALESWOMAN: I’m sorry. I’ll be right over there.


4 – She walks away as ABBY stands up.

ABBY: Honestly, Carolyn, I think this is the one. It really flatters you.


5 – CAROLYN gazes in the mirror at herself. ABBY stands behind her.

CAROLYN: Maybe you’re right. It does make my boobs look huge. Do you like the black?

ABBY: Sure. It matches your soul.


6 – Close on CAROLYN, smiling.

CAROLYN: You’re funny, Abby.


7 – ABBY smiles.

ABBY: Glad you think so.



PAGE TWENTY.

1 – Exterior of the dress shop. It is dark now and there is no one on the street. The lights are out in the shop as ABBY and CAROLYN exit. CAROLYN is holding the dress, covered in white plastic.


2 – CAROLYN shoves the dress into ABBY’S arms. ABBY struggles with it.

CAROLYN: Here, hold this. I’m gonna call my dad, see where he is.

ABBY: Um, okay...


3 – CAROLYN walks away with a cell phone to her ear.

CAROLYN: Ab, what dress are you wearing?


4 – ABBY adjusts the dress in her arms.

ABBY: I think I’m just gonna wear one of my sister’s dresses.


5 – CAROLYN has the phone to her ear. She is staring at ABBY with her mouth open.

ABBY: What?


6 – CAROLYN walks back over to ABBY, who has the dress slung over her arm.

CAROLYN: You’re going to wear some old, hand-me-down rag?

ABBY: It’s not a rag and it’s not old. My sister bought it two years ago-


7 – CAROLYN turns away with her hand up to shush ABBY. ABBY looks really pissed.

CAROLYN: Daddy?... Yeah, I’m ready, where are you?... Well, hurry up. We’re standing out on the street here.



PAGE TWENTY-ONE.

1 – ABBY looks down the street away from CAROLYN, toward a pair of approaching lights. CAROLYN is still turned away, talking on the phone. She is standing near the mouth of the alley.

ABBY: Is this him?


2 – Close on ABBY, still looking down the street.

SFX: CLACK-CLATTER!


3 – Same as panel one, except CAROLYN is gone.


4 – ABBY turns and sees CAROLYN missing.

ABBY: Carolyn. Where’d she-...?


5 – ABBY sees CAROLYN’S cell phone on the ground.


6 – ABBY bends down and picks up the phone.

ABBY: Carolyn, this isn’t funny.


7 – She looks around, nervously, with the cell phone in her hand.



PAGE TWENTY TWO.

1 – Whole page. Aerial view of ABBY alone on the street, except for the car which is driving by with its lights on. She is holding the dress over her arm and the cell phone in her hand and is looking down the street.

ABBY: ...Carolyn?

1 comment:

  1. I read this some time ago and it's still pretty good. I particularly like the page where the parents are watching and hoping he'll spontaneously show some powers.

    ReplyDelete